Wednesday, October 26, 2016

The Iconic-Hollywood-Starlet-Photo-Recreation Challenge

The theme from LAST TIME was The Dollar Store Challenge, and the winning photographer was...
MELISSA!
With her gorgeous golden glamour portrait of beautiful Amanda

Random.org helped us choose a voter to receive a little gift from Sarah,
who had to accept defeat. Through her wailing and tears.
The winning voter was:
NAZALI WOOD
The little gift? 
A pumpkin-spice scented candle, and a mug full of chocolate treats.
Because it's pumpkin-spice and chocolate time of year. 
Thanks for voting, Nazali!

On to the new challenge!

This time, we worked extra hard to give you some good voting options.
Ones that don't make us wonder if we, as a country, have lost our ever-loving minds.

Melissa won the last challenge, which means she got to choose the new challenge.
The theme?

ICONIC HOLLYWOOD STARLETS

 The challenge is to each recreate an iconic photograph of their choice of Hollywood's beloved actresses.

One lucky voter will receive a $10 gift card to Amazon--land of 2-day shipping--provided by the losing photographer. 
Doesn't matter who you vote for, just be sure to share on one of our pages that you voted!

And you all are smarty pants and have started to figure out who is who during our blind challenges.
So we're going to be straight with you, and bare our souls and our photographs.
Be sure to vote, darn it!

--------------------------------------------------------------
Melissa
"Liz Taylor"
Inspiration photo:

I was a more than a little excited when we decided to do a Hollywood Starlet challenge! I love anything and everything GLAM. I'm so intrigued by makeup and hair and fashion and who did all those things better than Elizabeth Taylor? She is epitome of beauty.

For my model, I knew I needed someone with dark hair, and the perfect nose. So, I perused my facebook friends to see if I had anyone matching that description. Enter my friend Allison. Perfect!


Allison has long hair, but Liz had short hair in the photo so I started by adding some dry shampoo to Allison's hair to add some grip. Then I curled her whole head into ringlets so I could easily coil them around my finger and pin them, giving the illusion of shorter hair. For her makeup I kept it pretty simple. Liz was wearing classic makeup, nothing too dark or smokey so I just added some eyeliner, some blush, and some lipstick.

Liz Taylor is known for her "violet eyes" and her lush lashes. I added some false lashes to Allison and also changed her eye color in Photoshop. Here's a fun fact: did you know that Liz actually had a genetic mutation that gave her an extra row of lashes? Some girls have all the luck!

For the dress, I literally took a piece of satin-esque fabric that I already had and clamped and pinned Allison into it. Hey, it didn't need to be a functional dress... it just had to look like one for a few minutes! The backdrop is all Photoshop!

FINAL IMAGE

"I feel very adventurous. There are so many doors to be opened, and I'm not afraid to look behind them." -Elizabeth Taylor


--------------------------------------------------------------
Sarah
"Audrey Hepburn"
Inspiration photo:

I chose Audrey Hepburn's famous photograph. Audrey had oodles  of poise, class, and sophistication. I have always been mesmerized by this photo shoot from her Breakfast at Tiffany's movie; I'm in love with the lighting, the styling, the posing. The Audrey.
For my model, I reached out to Jessica Brubaker, who had offered to model during a model call for a previous challenge. I thought she'd make a great Audrey Hepburn, and she sounded like someone that would be fun to work with. I was excited when she agreed to come pose for me!
I'm no Melissa Prout when it comes to hair and makeup. Let me say that right now.
I put Jessica's hair in a French twist (kind of clumsily, but swearing I know Photoshop), and Jessica did her own makeup.
She also fixed the ends of her hair to recreate the look of bangs. Preferable to having me cut bangs for her, I suppose.
The dress was a $5 score from Goodwill in Mt Pleasant.
The tiara was part Dollar Tree birthday tiara, part sparkly rose bracelet that I already had.
Necklace was created with a rhinestone butterfly pin (Dollar Tree again) and a few pearl necklaces from my jewelry box.
Long gloves and cigarette holder I had to order. Amazon Prime, baby!

 Jessica followed posing instructions amazingly well. I used small clamps to bring up the neckline of the dress and to cinch the bottom half to give her the streamline shape of Audrey's look.

The original photo has screen panels on each side of Audrey. I had none, so I shot Jessica on plain backdrop paper, and added the panels later during post-processing. It's actually a lace photoshop stamp that I enlarged and shaded for more of a 3D look.

I think I need to hang this in my office. When I get an office.

FINAL IMAGE
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone." 
-Audrey Hepburn


Voting has ended--thanks for your votes!
Winning photographer, as well as the winning voter ($10 Amazon card) to be announced!

1 comment: